In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(nostalgia) añoranza femenino(nostalgia) nostalgia femenino(desire) vivo deseo masculino(desire) vehemente deseo masculinolonging for sth/sb
- she was overcome with longing for her own country — sintió una gran añoranza / nostalgia de su país
- he felt a great longing for her — la echaba muchísimo de menos
- there was a longing for a return to peace — había un vivo deseo de que volviera la paz
- The seven surviving letters from the period detail these attempts and betray unfulfilled longing.
- Give yourself the breathing room necessary to feel your deepest longings and desires.
- I personally feel there is a deep longing for intimacy and friendship among the young.
- They combine in her mind, and she feels intense longing.
- Her poetry is nostalgic and betrays her own longing for her beloved homeland.
- I particularly liked the way they felt free to express their feelings and longings through the anonymity of their letters.
- It signifies the love and longings of the women who make it.
- Maybe it is about trying to satisfy a deep longing in the wrong ways.
- These are among the most powerful expressions of human dreams and hopes, ideals and longings.
- Their university days are always recalled with a nostalgic longing.
- The longing for comfort, for deep intimacy, impels the divorced to rush back into a married state.
- Genesis 2 implies that God made humanity male and female to satisfy the human longing for companionship.
- He had a gift for expressing the longings and anxieties of his contemporary audiences.
- Our longings go beyond the need for food, clothing and shelter.
- Suddenly Guinevere was overtaken by an intense longing for companionship.
- This looking backward and preference for bygone days involved more than nostalgic or homesick longings.
- I heard their despair and their longings to be freed to return to the life they once enjoyed.
- She'd suffered the same longing for companionship.
- The longings and legitimate desires for approval, acceptance and understanding are cut off.
- The longing for a proper home grows stronger and stronger with each passing day.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.