In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- They are primarily seen at 40 degrees south latitude, and they appear at many longitudes.
- Any object on the same hour circle will have the same right ascension, just as any place on earth on the same meridian of longitude has the same longitude.
- Her certificate of discharge even recorded the longitude and latitude at which the company's contractual obligations ended.
- Not by accident, he used Harrison's chronometer and lunar distances to calculate longitudes accurately.
- In such circumstances it is not surprising that a wrong reading is made of the latitudes and longitudes and very soon the young one finds himself sinking deeper and deeper into this bog of multiple explanations.
- He returned with astronomically determined latitudes and longitudes for many of the places he had visited, essential data for accurate mapping.
- Many of the perturbations to the atmosphere that we see occur over very large spatial scales, so it's very important to be able to collaborate with people who operate equipment at other latitudes and other longitudes.
- Every four minutes of difference would indicate 1 degree of longitude to the east or the west.
- You may notice that both these institutions of higher education are a mere stone's throw from my current longitude and latitude.
- Firstly, remember that your longitude is the angular distance West of the Greenwich meridian.
- Down the left of the chart Galileo lists the longitude and latitude for each planet.
- Other published co-ordinates agree with the latitude, but longitude can vary by as much as 0.03 minutes west.
- The zero degree line of longitude slices down through Greenwich, dividing London into western and eastern hemispheres.
- Table 1 lists the stations, their latitudes, longitudes, elevations above sea level and the time periods for which data are studied.
- In his instructions for constructing a celestial globe, Ptolemy recommended that all longitudes should be measured from Sirius, so that it would not become out of date as a result of precession.
- This displaces the track of totality about 60 degrees east in longitude.
- It discusses topics such as geometry, geography and algebra with applications to the longitudes of the planets.
- Latitudes and longitudes were known for each site, but the precise relationship between them was not known.
- Each standard atlas covers thirty minutes of latitude and longitude at a scale of four miles to the inch, and fills one page in the book.
- At the right longitude and latitude, the resort has plentiful snowfall.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.