In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(person)doble femeninososia femenino
- A force takes footage of the suspected criminal and together with the suspect and their solicitor makes a selection of lookalikes from the thousands of images stored on a national database.
- The success of Michael Kingsbury's production lies in having found genuine soundalikes and lookalikes.
- Killinghall Primary School in Killinghall Road had hundreds of David Beckham lookalikes running around, as the England football captain's haircut proved most popular among the children attending their hair salon.
- This made finding lookalikes rather difficult.
- Around midday, immaculately groomed horses appear, ridden by Antonio Banderas lookalikes wearing broad-brimmed hats and expressions of unassailable superiority.
- One Indian story told of a hero who so loved his paramour that when she had to pick him out from a hall of indistinguishable heroes, lookalikes in gold armour, he cut off his little finger so she would know and choose him.
- It was a unanimous decision that both Benjamin and Melissa were the best Harry Potter and Hermione Granger lookalikes from the ones received from people in and around Trowbridge.
- The event also entered the record books for having the world's largest gathering of Harry Potter lookalikes, with 558 children across the country dressing up as the wizard.
- The victim simply views the screen to make his or her decision and police don't have to waste valuable hours scouring the streets for line-up lookalikes.
- Instead, we'll have a battle of the lookalikes.
2(product, machine)imitación femenino
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.