In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1moneda de un dólar femenino
- The value of the loonie discouraged 17 per cent of Canadians from travelling outside the country while one per cent did not know or refused to answer.
- The central bank wants to help keep a lid on the loonie, which jumped by a dramatic 20 per cent last year, driven in part by the sizeable gap between interest rates here and in the United States coupled with weakness in the U.S. economy.
- A loonie is a Canadian one dollar coin, on which is pictured a common loon.
- I supposed it was good that he'd paid because I only had a loonie and a dime in my pocket.
- Without a doubt, the loonie's sharp appreciation has somewhat eroded the competitiveness of Canada's export sector.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.