In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(of possessions, jobs, faculties)pérdida femeninoheat/energy loss — pérdida de calor/energía
- the ship sank with the loss of 21 lives — el naufragio se cobró 21 vidas
- the coup was carried out without loss of life — el golpe se llevó a cabo sin que hubiera que lamentar víctimas / sin derramamiento de sangre
- if she does leave, she'll be no great loss — no se pierde nada con que se vaya
- it's their loss not mine — son ellos los que salen perdiendo / los que se lo pierden
- they were filled with a keen sense of loss — sintieron un gran vacío
- Any job losses will be dealt with through collective bargaining and on a voluntary basis.
- In good years, profits from the second half more than cover losses from the first half.
- In later proceedings it was held that the applicant had not in fact suffered such losses.
- Critics lost no time in dissecting the losses these terms entailed for the city.
- They have admitted the financial crisis could mean more job losses and ward closures.
- Many firefighters at a local level will want to confront the cuts and job losses.
- It has a reserve built up from past profits that has so far coped with losses.
- The bank did not say how many job losses the branch closure programme would entail.
- Both had posted losses throughout the session, but stabilized near the close.
- Farmers hoped to send their animals to early slaughter to avoid financial losses.
- His own school is facing job losses as it is in the process of moving from two forms of entry to one.
- He fears that the morale of the county will be unable to cope with further job losses.
- I would like to transfer the business into a clean company that will not show heavy losses.
- Post Office chiefs insist drastic action is needed to stem huge financial losses.
- The reason for the possible job losses is possible barrack closures at the Garrison.
- If a company has no directors, customers cannot take action to recover their losses.
- She said there would have to be job losses, but no decision had yet been made from which areas of the trust.
- He is now under fire for the losses suffered and the subsequent hit to the company's dividend.
- Profit warnings announced earlier in the year are now feeding through into job losses.
- The closer you are to retirement the harder it will be to make up the losses.
2.1Comercio Finanzaspérdida femeninothe company made a huge loss — la compañía sufrió grandes pérdidas
- I made a loss of $100 on the deal — perdí 100 dólares en el negocio
- a tax loss — una pérdida desgravable
2.2(in insurance)pérdida femenino
3.1euphemistic (bereavement)pérdida femenino eufemismothe loss of a dear one — la pérdida de un ser querido
- Nothing can replace this loss, and our grief is ever before us.
- The centre now offers a group program dealing with grief and loss as well as training for men wishing to be involved in community work.
- The reading as well as the writing of poetry can help people suffering from grief and loss.
- There would be an immense sense of grief and loss, thoughts of what might have been and cannot now be.
- We are all subject to the pain of loss, grief, sadness and even plain disappointment.
- You should be careful of people's deeply felt grief and sense of loss before you dismiss them as selfish cynics.
- Then who speaks for those whose grief, loss and suffering is not known to us?
- The process of conflict resolution requires the equal acknowledgement of the grief and loss of others.
- The large crowds at the funeral ceremonies reflected the sense of loss and grief felt throughout the neighbourhood.
- We have all experienced some psychological trauma, loss or grief.
- Several of her poems are marked by pain, a sense of loss and nostalgia.
- How are we to make sense of our shock and grief and loss in Phil's death?
- Doesn't this invalidate people that are feeling other things such as grief, sadness, loss, anger right now?
- Everyone feels a sense of loss and grief, only some feel it harder than others.
- Can you say something about your poems being so preoccupied with grief and loss, and the suffering brought to you by the suffering of another person?
- All parents who have lost children at any age or in any circumstances and who feel the pain of loss and grief are welcome to attend.
- She sniffed, and sighed from grief of her terrible loss of home and friends already.
- The pain of loss and grief of the relatives of those killed has been widely covered and is sometimes too painful to bare.
- She highlighted very eloquently the pain and loss of personal grief.
- What is it that makes us think we have the right to view other people's pain, loss and grief?
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.