In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Many vineyards planted in low-lying valleys alongside rice fields have high water-tables and a high risk of flooding.
- The low-lying, marshy land has been improved by drainage over the past generation.
- They also say that urban sprawl on hillsides and in low-lying areas has been allowed to grow out of control.
- On Fiji's low-lying islands, salt water intrusion can come from above as well as below.
- The most dramatic effect would be an increase in sea levels due to melting of the polar ice caps causing many low-lying costal areas to flood.
- Tuvalu is one of dozens of low-lying islands threatened with rising sea levels.
- Sea level rises will follow, catastrophically for many low-lying countries.
- Inland wetlands are common on floodplains along rivers and streams and in other low-lying areas.
- A big problem is that salt water has contaminated a lot of wells in the low-lying areas when this tidal wave came in.
- Breeding habitat is mostly inland around low-lying marshy areas near lakes.
- The area of low-lying swamp or marsh, as revealed through archaeology, is shown in brown.
- The Tuamotus are a group of low-lying atolls that form part of French Polynesia.
- Shallow pools were then dug in low-lying land along the rivers at Sraghmore a mile away and on the winter freezes provided the ice.
- The coastal region of the Humber estuary is low-lying and gradually eroding inland.
- The objectors say the problem is that Iburndale Beck runs alongside the land and the area is a low-lying flood plain.
- Heavy rain over the weekend brought flooding to low-lying ground on the outskirts of the historic city and to a city centre car park and river walks.
- More parts of the city, which has already seen its dyke breached and low-lying areas swamped, have been flooded.
- The Mimika region is largely a low-lying swamp intersected by rivers on Irian Jaya's southern coastal area.
- Many a low-lying island in the Pacific and Indian Oceans faces the very real threat of slipping beneath the sea.
- A spokeswoman warned river levels are high and with further rainfall forecast there may be some flooding on low-lying land near to rivers.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.