In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1macarrones gratinados masculinomacarrones al gratín masculino
- These include cottage pie, macaroni cheese, pasta in cheese and broccoli sauce, chicken curry, sausages with gravy, breaded cod with chips, cheese and onion quiche and jacket wedges with salad.
- Making the perfect macaroni cheese has not been high on Susie's priority list.
- He occasionally spends too much on alcohol on a night out, resulting in a diet of macaroni cheese or baked beans until his next payday.
- Thursday was macaroni cheese day and Friday was boiled fish day.
- The only pasta I ate was macaroni cheese and, as a treat from a much-loved and indulgent babysitter, tinned spaghetti.
- ‘Thanks for rescuing me from the eighties-style yuppie witch,’ I said to Diana while I scattered macaroni cheese about my person.
- Strange that I like macaroni cheese and tinned ravioli.
- Next up is spaghetti bolognese, macaroni cheese, Shepherds pie, and chicken curry.
- Fish pie, macaroni cheese, apple crumbles are my staples if I do have to do the Sunday lunch.
- Fatty foods increase the risk of suffering from heartburn and reflux, too, so if you're feeling stressed and your stomach's producing a lot of acid, eating macaroni cheese may result in an uncomfortable few hours.
- The unfussy menu provides hikers' staples such as home-made steak pie, melt-in-the-mouth macaroni cheese and haggis neeps and tatties, with a variety of sturdy, wholesome soups and daily specials.
- Our first thought of course was Traditional British, shepherd's pie, macaroni cheese and all that, but we had second thoughts.
- Finally it's lunch time at the century old Errard Estate House - a real Looshan country spread of stewed chicken, lentils, macaroni cheese, rice and chow mein to name just a few dishes.
- The only meal I didn't like much was macaroni cheese because it had a lot of cheese in it.
- The lunch specials of yore include macaroni cheese, steak pie, shepherd's pie and chips and five varieties of Crombie's sausages.
- What bribes were brought into play are beyond me, although I believe extra helpings of macaroni cheese - nectar of the gods to a permanently ravenous three-year-old - might have been pivotal.
- Bert had prepared individual macaroni cheese, and good they were.
- There's plenty of good stodge on the menu, including favourites such as scampi, macaroni cheese, sausages, lasagne, steak and hand-cut chips.
- Another top favourite dish in England is macaroni cheese, rather different from what an Italian would find acceptable, but well liked in the British Isles.
- I dropped the bowl of macaroni cheese on the floor.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.