In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Mach 3 — 3 Mach
- When the P - 38 wing developed a supersonic enclosure at the critical Mach number, the center of pressure moved aft, causing the nose to tuck down.
- On its third flight, the aircraft broke the sound barrier, reaching a speed of Mach 1.1.
- Sidewinder is an all-aspect short-range missile with maximum speed over Mach 2, for defence against hostile aircraft.
- Cleet and his brethren have a Mach 2 - nearly 1,400 mph - passport out of harm's way.
- To prepare for the Mach 10 flight, the third scramjet was upgraded slightly.
- It will also travel at speeds similar to today's fastest wide bodies, Mach 0.85.
- From Tiger Moths, to the Mach 1.2 Albatross jet, the business flies the aircraft that stir the blood.
- Eurofighter has ‘supercruise’ capability: it can fly at sustained speeds of over Mach 1 without the use of afterburner.
- They are boost launched from a zero length launcher and then powered by a jet engine in the cruise, reaching speeds up to 0.53 Mach.
- She must hold a perfectly aerodynamic headfirst position with her arms at her sides when she hits Mach 1 (the speed of sound) and goes through the shock wave.
- The missile uses command updated inertial guidance and reaches high subsonic speed, 0.9 Mach.
- The A - 10 can also carry the Sidewinder air-to-air missile, which is an all-aspect short-range missile with maximum speed over Mach 2.
- The use of Mach number to characterize flight speed is rooted in the basic physics of fluid flow.
- The engine develops 131.7kN and the speed of the aircraft is Mach 2.
- Max cruise speed remains the same for both airplanes at Mach 0.82.
- Want to make a Mach 5 airplane, bridge the Bering Strait, shrink a chip by a factor of ten?
- A Mach number is a measure of airspeed, and not of ground speed.
- The party atmosphere as we roared across the Atlantic at twice the speed of sound, Mach 2, 1,350 miles per hour, at the very edge of space.
- The 186-pound AIM - 9 has been produced in many variants, but may be described in general as a solid fuel rocket with a Mach 2 speed and a range of 10 miles.
- Going Mach 2 in the sleek jet ranked in the Top 10 among viewers.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.