In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The vision of the hexagram represents the union of the macrocosm & microcosm.
- Gattaca plays off the microcosm, the inner genetic make-up of the individual as the most reductionist way of perceiving human life and the vast macrocosm.
- Its clear globe reveals a magnified view into the pores of the leaf upon which it rests, encouraging appreciation to the macrocosm of beauty that exists at micro scale.
- Conception of the macrocosm in the Pratyabhijna system is based on a very deep study of the microcosm.
- That sense of malaise found its way into Kafka's unfinished novel Amerika, in which, says Schultze, he enlarges that feeling of disaffection and ‘brings it into the macrocosm.’
- The Torres Islands represent an ecological macrocosm whose two annual seasons are defined by the prevailing winds and by the periodic movement of the sun to the south and north of the thermal equator.
- In my personal practice of Tai Chi I find a well executed form shifts my awareness from ego chatter to a greater sense of integration with the macrocosm.
- On return to India, he extended it to the macrocosm.
- The microcosm as well as the macrocosm is based on a constant harmony of movement, from the atoms to the galaxies.
- Clearly we have no trouble building systems of thought around whatever we perceive the structure of the macrocosm to be.
- Everything combined to build up belief in this parallel world, in which microcosm and macrocosm were linked by complex networks of correspondences and powers.
- The traditional linkage of human calendrical microcosms to universal historical macrocosms followed an argument in five stages.
- If the microcosm of individual consciousness is reproduced in the macrocosm of unified consciousness, then perhaps the individual and society have their analogues in the neuron and brain respectively.
- It included not only human beings but also everything else in the universe, through the reciprocal relationship of the human microcosm with the macrocosm of the created order.
- Like them he believes that the macrocosm of the enormous complexity of the personality is reflected in the microcosm of every gesture, every vocalization.
- Of course, I'm setting up a tidy opposition here between the microcosm and the macrocosm, between the political and the philosophical.
- We must not weary of studying the microcosm if we wish rightly to understand the macrocosm of a developed economic order.
- In order to describe the consumer vortex, we move from the microcosm to the macrocosm.
- Very soon, however, junkspace becomes a virus that spreads and proliferates throughout the macrocosm.
- Both deal with the union of the microcosm (the individual) with the macrocosm (the divine), although they might use different terminology.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.