In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The impression here is not unlike examining a detail of a painting under a magnifying glass.
- We discuss color usage as students examine the painting with a magnifying glass.
- For this hike, you will need field guides and animal track guides, magnifying glasses and binoculars, and pencil and paper.
- To focus the image, move the magnifying glass closer or farther away from the candle.
- You may request a magnifying glass to read the fine print.
- Visitors will be able to buy stamps, first day covers, postcards and equipment ranging from albums to powerful magnifying glasses.
- You can see these dots if you shine a blue flashlight beam on the print-out and examine it closely with a magnifying glass.
- Like objects under a magnifying glass, to the extent and intensity that we focus on these problems, the larger and more important they seem to us.
- The devices to aid the visually impaired also include low vision aids such as magnifying glasses and illuminated magnifying glasses for enabling partially blind persons to read.
- We advise visitors to take magnifying glasses or, at least, reading spectacles to this event, since the drawings are minute in detail and often in poor condition.
- Examining a variety of Martian rocks with drills, magnifying glasses, and a suite of high-tech sniffers, the rovers have found minerals, chemical signatures, and rocks with textures and shapes that are suggestive of a watery past.
- Bring a packed lunch and they'll provide the magnifying glasses and bug boxes to help you see the amazing insect world up close and personal.
- We'd bake bread, climb trees, stretch out with magnifying glasses and find creatures in the lawn.
- The service is able to provide a range of aids such as special lamps, large key telephones, magnifying glasses, ‘talking’ kettles, white canes and anti-glare glasses.
- He made all his observations with single lenses - in effect, with very powerful magnifying glasses.
- The nine to 11-year-olds, armed with magnifying glasses, collecting trays and fishing nets, set about capturing creatures from the water.
- A magnifying glass enlarges things at the cost of reducing the total field of view: so, one sees more of less.
- A magnifying glass or 10X hand lens is helpful in examining plants for the presence of mites.
- The exhibition consists of paintings and related books, alongside a diverse range of instruments for seeing, including magnifying glasses and binoculars.
- In a double convex lens, such as a magnifying glass, the light will bend when it exits as well as when it enters.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.