In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1the main drag — la calle principal
- Start your roaming a couple miles northeast of Plymouth on the main drag through the area, Shenandoah Road.
- The first time I went to Vietnam, I was impressed by the wide range of international restaurants along the main drag of Ho Chi Minh City.
- We took a stroll down the main drag the other day and it took about ten minutes to see everything.
- With Peter I cruised into the city and perused the Lord Mayor's NY Eve street party - the main drag a scene of tables and chairs and food stands, families strolling and eating or watching the live entertainment.
- We headed out of our street and onto the main drag that led into Alexandra.
- We were fortunate to find a quiet minor road which criss-crossed the main drag and took us nearer the coastline and through tiny villages.
- The street, Foothill Boulevard, is the main drag in the region.
- This is Duvall Street, the main drag in Key West.
- Even on Hempstead Turnpike, which is sort of the main drag of of Nassau County, running from Queens into Suffolk County, there used to be wide open spaces.
- Away from the main drag of the town, it can all seem a shade dowdy.
- A sign on Highway #2, the main drag through the village, directed me left onto Wharf Road.
- It's your average Western town, like 20 buildings along the main drag.
- The general was going to stroll up and down the main drag in Nashua, allowing the press to take dramatic pictures of him surveying the impulse-buy counters of local stores.
- There are a few trendy shops, a neat bookstore, and a recreation gear shop, but the main drag still boasts an appliance store, hardware store, and locally owned clothing shops.
- Continuing into town, the tour bus turns down the main drag, Broadway, where wooden sidewalks run alongside colorful false-front buildings.
- The arena was on a hill in the heart of downtown, a few streets above the main drag, with a level entrance in the back and a gigantic hike for people coming in the front.
- In the few days since I was in Taunton last, it has acquired its second Starbucks, this time on the main drag, overlooking the old town centre.
- Then you reach the main drag around Key Span Park, home to the Brooklyn Cyclones minor league baseball team.
- There's not an empty storefront on Oak Street, the main drag through this former orchard-and-lumber hub on the Columbia River.
- Stroll the main drag, Third Street, past restaurants and shops selling gifts and antiques, all housed in old adobes and low, false-fronted wood buildings.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.