In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(principal road)calle principal femenino
- Mr Lanyon said he intends to campaign with public appearances in the main street of local towns.
- On to Carmel, another morbidly cute seaside town with a manicured main street.
- Genteel Lavelle Road now gets lots of cars ever since it has became a main street as part of a maze of one way streets.
- They approached the main street cautiously, even a little afraid, not sure of who or what they would meet.
- To rectify this it is being proposed that the main street of the town become a one way system.
- It seems as though she feels it would be such a success, that traffic would be a serious problem in the town main street.
- The day was gone, she said, when you could pull up on the main street of any county town and run into a shop.
- The gate's position at one end of the main street running through the town reflects its importance.
- The tension in the van rose quickly as they approached the main street of the village.
- The town of Enniscrone has declared that the main street is now a litter free zone.
- The dog, nicknamed John, appeared on the grass verge by the side of the road in the main street through the village.
- She pulled him up onto the seat behind her, swerving down over the main street to dodge through the rest of the traffic.
- Now, on leaving my office, I only have a short walk down the main street to reach an underpass into the town centre.
- She drove through the main streets of Falton City for half an hour, mumbling randomly about how much she hated rush-hour.
- On the main street, Ocean Avenue, a few people are out walking their retrievers.
- People didn't have watches then and they could see the old clock from any part of the main street of the town.
- Driving down the main street you find road markings and speed humps until the church.
- Like his characters, he used to wander on the main street in town, with nothing to do.
- The false fronts along the main street might have stepped out of Disneyworld's Frontierland.
- This is despite it being situated less than two minutes walk away from the main street in Carlow town.
2Main Street(as name) la Calle Mayor(provincial attitude) la mentalidad pequeñoburguesa norteamericana de provincias
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.