In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1palo mayor masculino
- He saw how close to the mainmast the commodore was and grinned suddenly.
- The mainmast groaned slightly under the strain of the wind-filled sails.
- Dolphin pulled past them and assaulted the outside schooner, her guns taking out the mainmast.
- ‘Look,’ Rueben said, and turned, pointing up to the top of the mainmast, at the crow's next.
- Its gun-ports were visible even at this distance, and a flag, unidentifiable, waved defiantly atop the mainmast.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.