In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(discern)(outline/object) distinguir(object/outline) divisar(sound) distinguirI can't make out what she's saying — no entiendo lo que dice
- I can't make out the address — no logro descifrar la dirección
1.2informal (figure out)entendercomprenderI just can't make her out — sencillamente no la entiendo / comprendo
- she couldn't make out why he had done it — no se explicaba / no acababa de entender por qué lo había hecho
1.3(write)(invoice/receipt/list) hacermake the check out to P. Jones — haga el cheque pagadero a / a favor de P. Jones
1.4(put forward)to make out a case for/against sth/sb — presentar argumentos a favor/en contra de algo/algn
2.1informal (do, fare)how did you make out in the exam? — ¿qué tal te fue en el examen? coloquial
2.2informal (get along)to make out with sb
- how did you make out with her kids? — ¿qué tal te fue con sus niños?
- we made out fine as soon we met — nos caímos bien desde el primer momento
2.3US slang (sexually)→ neck
3.1she made out it was her own work — dio a entender que lo había hecho ella misma
- he made out he didn't know anything about it — fingió no saber nada del asunto
- you're not as ill as you make out — no estás tan enfermo como pretendes / como quieres hacer creer
- he's even more stupid than they made out — es aún más estúpido de lo que ellos dieron a entender
3.2they made the situation out to be more serious than it was — pintaron la situación como más grave de lo que en realidad era
- he's not as rich as he makes himself out to be — no es tan rico como pretende
- she made herself out to be a millionairess — se hacía pasar por millonaria
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.