- Mammals have three, the stapes, the malleus, and incus, the last two being the old reptilian jaw joint still conserved deep within our ear.
- Urbantschitsch has provided detailed measurements of the malleus, incus and the stapes.
- In mammals they are called the malleus, incus and stapes.
- The malleus, or hammer, is the largest of the three ossicles.
- The air pressure on either side of the eardrum is normally kept equal for proper functioning of the middle ear structures, namely the malleus, incus and stapes bones.