In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Except that the senior citizen's plate is smaller than a normal man-sized plate, and the serving smaller in consequence.
- She looked up and grinned at the man-sized vent in the ceiling.
- They're too much for one little girl, but they make a perfect man-sized meal.
- Just then, his arms gave up and he collapsed, then the six man-sized boulders came crashing down on him.
- It grew heavier and heavier until it felt like he was shouldering a man-sized slab of stone and had to set the body down.
- This morning I've struggled back in to work armed with a bottle of linctus and a large box of tissues, man-size for man-flu!
- The mushroom cloud diminished until it was no bigger than a man-sized saguaro, a desert cactus.
- So, what is it about a man with a man-sized shaft on his scooter that threatens people?
- Consider the ceremony of the weighing of the emperor, with all those flamboyantly robed courtiers arranged in strictly hierarchical order around the man-sized scales.
- The fried potatoes were a little dry and our guest remarked that he would have preferred boiled potatoes with it, but never the less it was an enjoyable and man-sized dish.
- I finger-tipped the last crumbs of my wafer-thin slice of cake and put the plate down, ruefully, looking with some envy at Graham finishing the last of a huge man-sized chunk.
- Got a late start, blew off the gym for a man-sized brunch at Annie's, then some quality cell phone time with a bud.
- Khan's mum and dad Shah and Falak were jumping for joy as their boy completed another man-sized mission against the awkward southpaw.
- And I've bought myself a new pair of man-size black rubber gloves to withstand the one and aid in the wielding of the other.
- We clobbered clawed beasts with a man-sized war-hammer and flung them against polished, marble walls.
- Fast hits on man-sized targets were achieved by focusing just on the outer ring.
- It was a man-size portion that more than satisfied.
- Faced with a menu in a restaurant, he would usually order some man-sized dish such as prawns, only to lose interest as soon as it arrived.
- While not a heaping man-sized portion, it made for a satisfying meal.
- However, this is annoyingly located in the bottom left-hand corner, which makes the device tricky to grip as the action heats up, and will cause swift thumb-ache for those with man-sized digits.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.