In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Such encounters are so common that researchers are often able to identify manatees from their scar patterns.
- Imagine what a giraffe, or an elephant, or a manatee looked like to the first Europeans to see them.
- They provide food and shelter for thousands of species, including endangered manatees, dugongs and sea turtles.
- Like deer in the headlights of an oncoming car, manatees have poor avoidance strategies when in the path of danger.
- He actually adopted a tree in the tropical rainforest and a manatee down in Florida.
- In recent years, a manatee traveled to New York and another swam up the Mississippi River!
- The diet of the captive manatees used in this study consists principally of romaine lettuce.
- Monkey River is 45 minutes to the south by boat, through mangrove estuaries that are home to manatees.
- Because manatees move freely along the coast, they are ideal indicators of environmental change.
- The gestation period is one full year for manatees, and cows give birth only once every 3 to 5 years.
- He is hoping to test a prototype device with manatees in the natural environment under highly controlled research conditions.
- While conducting night surveys for crocodiles, Klein sighted three manatees in Laguna Siksa.
- Native animals range from the jaguar and howler monkey to the manatee, and there are more than 290 species of birds.
- The largest population of manatees is found in Florida, where approximately 2,000 individuals now live.
- This year the two projects will focus on Florida manatees and wild lions in Kenya.
- There are three species of manatees, including the West Indian manatee.
- Tell the class that early explorers in Florida thought manatees were either mermaids or monsters.
- But the manatees swam along the shore and the people followed the manatees all of the way down here.
- Some manatees seek shelter here in the Suwannee River, which runs through northern Florida into the Gulf of Mexico.
- The death toll was 325, with careless boaters killing 81 of those manatees.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.