In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- You cannot win without scoring, and aside from Rooney, who was trying so manfully to be all things to England's attack, nobody but Owen was going to finish the job.
- He toiled manfully with the task, bravely maintaining that the national picture was not as grim as the newspapers would have us believe.
- England coped manfully without him, but they will rue his absence if Australia continue to fight hard today and finally top 400 for the first time in the series.
- He manfully fielded tough questions about precisely how brilliant his leadership was and the personal toll of improving the lives of every living creature in his kingdom.
- Dawkins writes of how he manfully and loudly sings it the ‘correct’ way when he's at one of these gatherings, but to no avail.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.