In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Together with curving wraparound short sides, this feature appears in 1930s designs from sideboards to movie theater marquees.
- They embrace three angular lanterns that pull light into the heart of the building and, at night, seem to float above it like illuminated marquees.
- Ultimately, it was World War II and the maturing of those youngsters raised on Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers and Superman that brought sci-fi out of the darkness and into the light of flashing marquees.
- Digital marquees above the doors displayed the contents of each room, and the levels of security required to access them.
- The city last week adopted a law requiring hotel operators who advertise rates on marquees to post both the highest and lowest room rates.
- The Dance Club, the larger of the two, will feature an Art-deco motif, a theater-style entrance marquee.
- Then she noticed the movie marquee with its poster of a beautiful dark-haired woman stranded in the South Pacific embraced by a beautiful blond-haired young man.
- Along the sidewalks, giant signs and marquees hung from the buildings.
- Hector grabbed my hand and made a dash for the entrance, the lights from the marquee illuminating his jubilant face.
- By then, after eight and more hours of conversation with the people around them, there is nothing left to say as they inch closer to the white marquee that marks the entrance to Westminster Hall.
- Theater marquees are frequently shown in the background, and it's always worth reading what's written on them.
- Two hours before the first show in York, the crowd was queuing beneath the theatre marquee that read ‘Bingo every night (except Thursday)’.
- Why do people still travel to New York to write musicals despite the comparatively few new author names on Broadway marquees?
- One entered the show next to a mock-up of a theater marquee and exited through a stage door that was part of a new, postscript installation made for the exhibition.
- He would pay for all advertising and promotion, put his own banners and marquees out front, and turn the theater into a midway attraction, complete with lobby curiosities designed to lure customers.
- Bollywood might hope that a different spelling on the marquee would alter an actress' fortunes, but would it matter whether a woman was Priti, Preeti, Preety or even Preity as long as she was pretty?
- If two-thirds of the movie marquees carry an American title in Europe (even in France), the fraction is even greater when it comes to translated books.
- But the Concert Hall isn't a success, as witnessed by these marquees.
- Decorative touches such as vintage movie posters, a mini marquee, director's chairs, and overhead lanterns or strings of lights create the right mood.
- I know every corner of downtown so well that I see the buildings that once occupied the parking lots, the fine old department stores, the marquees and awnings of the nightclubs and hash houses and chow mein joints.
2Britanico(tent)entoldado masculinotoldo masculino
- Organisers are planning to have lots of stalls and attractions - and are desperate for donations of tents and marquees to provide shelter for these.
- Saturday will also feature two large marquees with an array of exhibitors, and a third marquee holding a talent contest.
- Preparations were continuing as portable toilets were delivered to the grounds and marquee and tent companies continued to enter and leave the estate.
- A social gathering and refreshments in a marquee erected on the church's grounds will follow the ceremony.
- The Eurozone marquee will also provide shelter for racegoers should the weather take a turn for the worse.
- Some festivals in the UK choose to put marquees up in order to seat 1,000 plus.
- Participants bring picnics to the marquee on the Green to enjoy a great social occasion and take part in a conversation with three leading authors.
- Many staff came prepared for a lengthy stay in the rain, setting up a marquee tent and bringing with them barbecues, umbrellas and plenty of food.
- Judging of rally entrants takes place in the afternoon before a social evening of entertainment in the marquee from 7.30 pm.
- A marquee has been erected there for a commercial celebration.
- With something for young and old alike, the fair had a large fairground, market trade auto and jumble, an entertainment pavilion and a real ale tent, along with rural craft marquees and a food hall.
- Putting up marquees and tents and other types of shading is something many people find complicated if not impossible.
- The initial concept is that the event might be similar to the book festival, which fills Charlotte Square with marquees, with individual tents showcasing different aspects.
- The municipality has also cleaned up and painted a storeroom which will become the competition's headquarters, along with a marquee for functions and rest areas.
- With many seeking shelter from the pouring rain under a big marquee tent, some opted to cheer on the participants on the beach.
- The white tents and marquees that had been the centre of the rally stood in the field half collapsed.
- Equally, the decision to erect a marquee in the car park to cater for some corporate functions has been questioned by events organisers.
- In addition to the experienced teams involved in rapidly erecting and dismantling marquees and tents, the company is also now organising lighting facilities and generator capacity.
- On Sunday there is a function in the marquee and the admission fee is €20.
- The last festival depended on selling exhibition space in large marquees as well as satellite exhibition space to cover the cost of the festival, which is intended to be self-financing.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.