In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1ley marcial femeninothe country is under martial law — se ha impuesto la ley marcial en el país
- The following day, martial law was declared and the troops rolled in.
- Even to the pillars of our society, the days of hiding behind civil law, martial law and cannon law are gone.
- Nor do we declare martial law to keep our people from voting for the kind of government they want.
- This may be considered military law which should not be confused with the term martial law.
- Sometime in the past some giant disaster had caused martial law to be declared.
- Instead he is talking of changing legislation to allow the imposition of martial law.
- Afterwards a state of emergency will be declared and martial law instituted.
- The military had been sent to keep martial law, but because of the wars, they were pulled out.
- The town was closed to journalists while fresh troops were brought in and martial law declared.
- Some military leaders and others believe that martial law must be imposed, but this offers little comfort.
- In response, Charles imposed martial law and applied it to soldiers and civilians alike.
- The state of civilian emergency can be upgraded to a state of military emergency, under which martial law can be imposed.
- Moreover, it considers that the crimes occurred at a time of civil war, and thus fall under martial law.
- She did not say if the end of martial law would mean the end of major military operations in the province.
- We were still deep in the repression of martial law, or post-martial law.
- He criticised martial law but warned of bloodshed and civil war, counselling patience rather than defiance.
- Sometimes, the military rules directly and calls it martial law.
- The Government has responded by declaring martial law and pouring thousands more troops into the region.
- There is a state of emergency or martial law; there are military cordons and official broadcasts.
- The general wanted to impose martial law, but the president opposed it.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.