In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- An extraordinary letter was written by the prior of the monastery two years before his martyrdom.
- The missionary Jesuit order developed a speciality in clinical depictions of torturous martyrdoms.
- The persecutions and martyrdoms seemed to have solidified the believers' faith.
- Reports of martyrdoms steeled resistance to persecution and were the source of encouragement to persevere.
- Christianity in the first three centuries was a religion of martyrdom.
- We are reminded, for example, that belief in the resurrection of the dead is not an essential feature of the Jewish Bible but a view that developed primarily in response to the martyrdoms of the Maccabean revolt.
- Throughout the entire span of their eventful history, they have struggled and fought for universal causes and have courted martyrdoms to uphold the values of truth, justice and freedom.
- In each apostle portrait, each man holds the symbol of his martyrdom.
- His characters lived and understood themselves in a fallen world where martyrdom was often the cost of salvation.
- They are the words of the martyrs, martyrdom being the frequent fate of prophets.
- Obedience, suffering, and martyrdom are also the theme of Jesus' words in John 12.
- So the following years brought further opposition and persecution, and even martyrdom, to evangelical missionaries in Mexico.
- History is full of their bloody exploits, conquests, sacrifices and martyrdoms.
- What does the Bible tell us about the ministry, martyrdom, resurrection and ascension of the two witnesses?
- In mentioning martyrdom of course, the question of religion comes up.
- A tragedian, Rubens loved to depict battles, atrocities, martyrdoms and slaughters.
- His first encounter with the Stations of the Cross set him howling with fright in church; his compulsory bedtime reading as a child was stories of Christian saints and their martyrdoms.
- As of this modern age these acts of martyrdoms are regarded as legends but they are based on historical facts and foundation.
- His martyrdom is the first - and only one - among the Apostles to be recorded in Scripture.
- Most notable to European eyes at this time was their religious fanaticism and willingness to seek martyrdom through death in battle.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.