- With sculpted features and a mop of dark hair, he became the star of his generation and something of a matinee idol.
- You have a natural knack for fashion and occupy a suit like a matinee idol.
- He was more a matinee idol rather than an actor, and I have to admit his persona outstripped anyone on the screen in his day with the exception of Marlon Brando.
- Instead of fans going after the matinee idol, the actor himself went around to meet a lucky few.
- The guest list includes a countess, a World War I hero, a British matinee idol and an American film producer who makes Charlie Chaplin movies.