In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The most active theorists wrestling with this demon offer something far less robust: spurious theories of ancient matriarchies, for one.
- This is by no means to argue that a return to matriarchy would be either possible or desirable.
- All I'm saying is that it is wrong to replace a patriarchy with a matriarchy, because then nothing is learned, no insights are gained and no real cooperation between men and women is achieved.
- The new matriarchy needs to come out like a phoenix.
- Interesting how far the story of the pre-existing matriarchy goes back.
- But how are we to know whether matriarchy did not have similar extremes?
- They form a matriarchy, a herd of females led by the dominant matriarch, who all band together to raise and protect and teach each other and their young calves.
- Chamorro culture is a matriarchy, meaning that the women are central to the culture's survival.
- A famous woman ruled during the period of the matriarchy (when women held the majority of power).
- The result is a lower-class household which often becomes an extended matriarchy with the oldest woman at the head and her unmarried children, married daughters, and grandchildren constituting the household.
- Matrilineal kinship does not mean that there is a matriarchy.
- She is sceptical of the Western rejection of the term matriarchy as a failed mirror-image of masculinist terminology.
- Another 1970s strategy of empowerment was to turn to the misty past and recast prehistory in a hopeful light: perhaps a Neolithic matriarchy predated the Iron Age patriarchy.
- Though by now anthropologists reject claims that early societies were matriarchal, some feminist theorists still cling to the idea that primitive matriarchies once dotted the globe.
- She may advocate a matriarchy, but it is a matriarchy where leaders remain irreproachably ladylike, and therefore ultimately submissive to men.
- Getting rid of patriarchy is fine, but replacing it with an equivalent matriarchy solves nothing unless you're simply out for revenge.
- The passiveness and peace of a matriarchy with the passion and drive and energy of a patriarchy is the best blend, and will ultimately create a society that can stand against anything.
- She suggests that the symbol of the Amazon is associated with the symbol of the Great Mother and with matriarchy.
- Women, except for the rare instances of societal matriarchies, have been perceived as inferior in intelligence, inadequate in controlling their body fluids, and predominantly sexually moronic.
- Whether or not Witchcraft was handed down in an unbroken line from time immemorial or whether there was ever a golden age of matriarchy is totally irrelevant.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.