In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(method)medio masculinomeans of transport — medio de transporte
- they have the means to do it — cuentan con los medios para hacerlo
- there's no means of finding out — no hay manera / forma de saberlo
- by some means or other — sea como sea
- I would say half of an hour, but without a means of measuring time with me, I couldn't be sure.
- One effective means of improving the process is to request more than one reference.
- Having a series of plant analysis results provides a means of evaluating these influences.
- Its successor, the United Nations, also seeks to persuade member nations to solve their difference by peaceful means.
- He offered to advise them about means of gaining assistance under the social welfare system.
- When the objective is recognized, a wide variety of well known techniques may be used as transitional or enduring means of achieving it.
- Instruments can become indirect means of communication for autistic children.
- He took up the bass as a means of channeling his madcap intensity.
- Arts programs are one means of achieving that goal.
- He goes on to advise an effective means of achieving this goal.
- And, it is stressed, it is far from the only means of achieving business objectives.
- The method provides a means of identifying and describing the ways the viewers fill the gaps in the text.
- Thorough cleaning of all equipment from planting to delivery is one of the most important means of achieving this.
- To me it was just another medium, a means of transmitting things.
- We are in the process of implementing new means of processing credit cards, a move that will result in both time and money savings for the association.
- Unfortunately, following the announcement of the results the organizer cut every means of communication!
- Holland also has developed a means of measuring each sales rep's forecasting prowess.
- Manure management is the most effective means for fly control.
- He is guilty of committing various immoral acts as a means of achieving power and importance.
- On that basis, buying back shares is just a means by which a company can distribute cash to its shareholders.
2formal(wealth) medios (económicos) masculino(wealth) recursos masculino(income) ingresos masculinoa woman of means — una mujer de buena posición económica
- we do not have the means to finance it — no contamos con los medios / recursos para financiarlo
- That way you will have the financial means whatever bill comes your way!
- You have had the means under your control for quite some time now.
- She has also received computers and 14 computer training facilities for families without the means.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.