In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1medalla femeninobefore noun medal winner
- My grandfather's medals were awarded for his service with the St John Ambulance Brigade during the Boer War.
- The medals were awarded to individuals who had been nominated by others in their communities.
- To see the joy on so many young faces when presented with medals and awards was reward enough.
- Purple Heart medals are awarded to nine soldiers who suffered wounds in Iraq.
- The team also picked up five silver and three bronze team medals at the event.
- Player of the Year awards and team medals will be presented on the night.
- Britain doubled their medal haul in Paris after scooping two medals on the final day of the World Championships.
- No service member is entitled to wear all three medals for the same act, achievement or period of service.
- Thomas had won many medals and awards in both handball and football.
- The medal was awarded to airmen involved in enemy contact.
- Most of it was devoted to the award of medals in the Falklands War.
- He was awarded numerous medals and attained the rank of Lieutenant before discharging in 1970.
- The show garden section has been expanded, and the event awarded its own medals for the first time this year.
- Jewelry and 107 medals and awards were also stolen from the apartment.
- Pope John Paul II has awarded a medal of distinction to a Sutton woman who has given her life to the service of the church, the young and the needy.
- I will train for better results but I don't think too much about medals.
- This week her work was recognised when she was awarded the prestigious medal of the Order of Mercy from the League of Mercy.
- No medal was awarded on Friday as the events were still at the qualifying stage.
- Cabinets of coins, medals, and bronze statuettes became a characteristic feature of German princely collections.
- These medals were awarded in bronze for having four children, silver for six, and gold for eight.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.