In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1medallista masculinogold/silver medalist — medalla de oro/plata femenino
- Olympic medalist — medallista olímpico
- He only lost to the gold medallist, but had a couple of close contest wins which put him fifth on points count back.
- Australia play rivals New Zealand while the Americans, two-times defending gold medallists, tip off against Greece.
- We have had gold medallists if not galore, then aplenty, so let's consult them.
- Several of Scotland's gold medallists turned into ambassadors, expressing how much they'd like the Games to come to Scotland in eight years.
- They're both Olympic gold medallists and they both grew up skiing Red.
- The youngest female athletics gold medallist was also American.
- Many celebrated and professional athletes, world champions and Olympic medallists have touted that a vegetarian diet can provide all the nutrients.
- Among the Olympic gold medallists taking part are Australian swimmer Ian Thorpe and English triple jumper Jonathan Edwards.
- As usual, a couple of gold medallists will pop up unexpectedly.
- She was there again last Wednesday but, when you are a World Athletics Championship silver medallist, it is easy to go back.
- The 2002 World Champion gold medallists advanced with the fastest time from the first semi-final.
- The Americans had been gold medallists in every Olympics since 1992 when NBA players started competing in the Games.
- Waterloo, as defending champions, ended up 11 shots behind Queen's, the gold medallists with a 314 total.
- Jessica was presented with her award by Olympic gold medallist Tim Foster at a ceremony in London.
- They've announced mega cash awards for medallists.
- Of all the athletes and gold medallists who came back from the Games, Amir has had the highest profile.
- Gold medallist is used to refer to any athlete who has taken first place.
- Olympic hopefuls for the 2004 games as well as the current Olympic Gold medallists will be taking part.
- The boxer, along with the Athens gold medallists, will be meeting the Prime Minister next Tuesday.
- A delegation of Chinese Olympic gold medallists are to visit Hong Kong on Monday at the start of a three-day visit.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.