In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1medallistagold/silver medalist — medalla de oro/plata
- Olympic medalist — medallista olímpico
- The Americans had been gold medallists in every Olympics since 1992 when NBA players started competing in the Games.
- Among the Olympic gold medallists taking part are Australian swimmer Ian Thorpe and English triple jumper Jonathan Edwards.
- Of all the athletes and gold medallists who came back from the Games, Amir has had the highest profile.
- Jessica was presented with her award by Olympic gold medallist Tim Foster at a ceremony in London.
- Many celebrated and professional athletes, world champions and Olympic medallists have touted that a vegetarian diet can provide all the nutrients.
- The boxer, along with the Athens gold medallists, will be meeting the Prime Minister next Tuesday.
- Waterloo, as defending champions, ended up 11 shots behind Queen's, the gold medallists with a 314 total.
- Several of Scotland's gold medallists turned into ambassadors, expressing how much they'd like the Games to come to Scotland in eight years.
- Olympic hopefuls for the 2004 games as well as the current Olympic Gold medallists will be taking part.
- A delegation of Chinese Olympic gold medallists are to visit Hong Kong on Monday at the start of a three-day visit.
- The 2002 World Champion gold medallists advanced with the fastest time from the first semi-final.
- He only lost to the gold medallist, but had a couple of close contest wins which put him fifth on points count back.
- Australia play rivals New Zealand while the Americans, two-times defending gold medallists, tip off against Greece.
- They've announced mega cash awards for medallists.
- We have had gold medallists if not galore, then aplenty, so let's consult them.
- Gold medallist is used to refer to any athlete who has taken first place.
- The youngest female athletics gold medallist was also American.
- She was there again last Wednesday but, when you are a World Athletics Championship silver medallist, it is easy to go back.
- They're both Olympic gold medallists and they both grew up skiing Red.
- As usual, a couple of gold medallists will pop up unexpectedly.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.