In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- His brash style and megalomania also make him enemies.
- The hidden message here is that we expect people who are blessed with qualities like economic acumen, leadership and intelligence to be cursed with the obverse traits of greed, megalomania and ruthless cunning.
- This cluster of tightly interrelated themes - power, ego, control, megalomania, failure - were to give a strong pattern to Welles' creations, just as they later did for Werner Herzog.
- So my ultimate goal of acquiring enough knowledge to conquer the stock market isn't a product of megalomania?
- Personally, I found it riveting from the word go, watching the idealism, the megalomania, the ruthlessness, the plotting by what essentially was a bunch of gangsters with a great deal of misused power.
- Utopian enthusiasm promises enlightenment and community but it also risks exploitation, depersonalization, and megalomania.
- On the surface, Watchmen is a crime fighting/superhero comic, but really it deals with the philosophy of good versus evil, morality, megalomania, the nature of evil, love, betrayal, honour and friendship.
- As a military official, he's incompetent, and as a character who should engage our sympathy, he's a total failure, blinded by his own megalomania and quest for historic recognition at any cost.
- And when he launches into his lecture on the ‘spiritually superior personality’, we are reminded of how thin a line divides enlightened idealism and protofascist megalomania.
- It enacts an arrogance that borders on megalomania.
- This vision of world domination goes way, way beyond hubris, and crosses the border into outright megalomania.
- This conviction frequently prompts its spokespersons to make irritating declarations that border on megalomania, the odious or the comical.
- In the past, the building of such mega-projects as complete new cities was frequently driven by the megalomania of some despotic ruler.
- World domination, absolute power and obsessive megalomania - there's been a lot of it about.
- His madness, if indeed madness it was, was of megalomania: a condition attributed to an incalculable number of despots and murderers over the ages.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.