In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Melanotan works by boosting melanin, the skin pigment that makes us brown and protects us against skin cancer.
- The melanosomes convert tyrosine to melanin, giving skin its color.
- The body normally converts the amino acid tyrosine into the pigment melanin.
- One theory focuses on the fact that people with red hair have a different type of melanin (a skin pigment) than people with dark hair.
- When the skin is exposed to sunshine, it produces a brown pigment called melanin.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.