In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1the menopause — la menopausia
- the male menopause — la andropausia
- Smoking can cause infertility and an early menopause in women, and sperm problems in men.
- In women after the menopause, the lack of oestrogen can lead to a weakening of the muscles associated with the bladder and the urethral sphincter.
- After menopause, the ovaries produce lower levels of the hormones estrogen and progesterone.
- Menstrual cycles can occur without ovulation taking place as the menopause approaches.
- Loss of muscle increases six-fold at the time of the menopause so it may have a connection with estrogen.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.