In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1cálculos mentales masculino
- Lawrence Lee was known in the local area to be very good at mental arithmetic and it was this love of mathematics that he passed on to his daughter.
- A market trader I met, who left school unable to spell ‘orange’, could do mental arithmetic with the speed of summer lightning.
- Daniel Tammet is a man with an exceptional mind: he can perform mental arithmetic faster than a pocket calculator, and learn a new language fluently, even one as tortuously complex as Icelandic, in a matter of days.
- Kawashima's study compared the brain activity in hundreds of teenagers playing computer games and doing mental arithmetic.
- Calling himself a mathemagician, he astonishes audiences with amazing feats of mental arithmetic.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.