In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(untidy)(room) desordenado(writing) sucio y descuidado(writing) desprolijo Cono Sur
- They have been getting messy with paints and glue to help raise funds and bring happiness to children through the Make a Wish Foundation.
- He was basically wild anyway, with his tangled and messy dark brown hair and those eyes.
- All she wanted was Tommie with his stupid, messy purple hair and dirty shoes and goofy smile.
- Her wavy brown hair was messy, tangled, and pulled into a sloppy ponytail at the nape of her neck.
- Rushing to get dress and to pack her things Rebecca race out the door with messy hair and untidy clothing.
- The game began to descend into a scrappy affair with play the balls getting messy and players getting confrontational.
- Her dark hair was tousled and messy and her eyes were red and puffy.
- His hair was very messy and dirty, since he only got to bathe about once a fortnight and he never got to brush it.
- Zach looks just like my dad, he's got these big brown eyes, and messy black hair that is all over the place.
- He had messy dirty blonde hair, too, but his eyes were chocolate brown instead of dark green.
- It's still alive in the messy hair and dirty jeans of the Black Rebel Motorcycle Club.
- Because my hair got messy during changing, I used her full-length mirror to pat it back in place.
- A short plump pirate with an eye patch over his right eye, messy hair and a tangled beard.
- His blonde hair, normally messy but in a totally fake way, was tousled in the true sense of the word.
- As for her dirty top and messy hair, there would not be anything inconspicuous about that.
- He has the same almond eyes, the same thin face, the same messy dirty blonde hair, everything.
- She was met face to face with a guy who had thick messy dirty blonde hair and blue eyes that sparkled with laughter.
- He's tall, has olive skin, a beautiful physique and messy brown hair.
- His usual perfectly spiked dirty blonde hair was messy and it exaggerated his sharp features.
- The last one to exit was a young boy with wildly messy dirty blond hair.
2(dirty)suciohe's a messy eater — come sin modales
3(unpleasant, confused)he was involved in some messy affair — estaba involucrado en un asunto turbio
- the truth is often complicated and messy — la verdad es muchas veces complicada y desagradable
- theirs was a messy divorce — su divorcio fue muy reñido y amargo
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.