In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- For example, the alcohol derivative of methane is methanol and of ethane is ethanol.
- It will also act on other small molecules, including methanol and ethylene glycol.
- The fuel cell generates electricity as a by-product of a chemical reaction involving dilute methanol.
- The nucleus suspension was fixed in methanol: acetic acid and air dried.
- For instance, consider the difference between ethyl alcohol and methanol.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.