- The latter includes the diencephalon; mesencephalon, or midbrain; pons; and medulla oblongata.
- In each case, these sections included frontal cortex, basal ganglia, thalamus, hippocampus, midbrain, pons, medulla, and cerebellar hemisphere at the level of the dentate nucleus.
- The brainstem consists of the midbrain, pons and medulla, structures located deep in the back of the brain.
- The midbrain, brainstem, and cerebellum appeared grossly normal.
- The pons is a specialized band of nerve fibers that links the midbrain with the medulla oblongata and acts as a high-functioning switchboard.