In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(politician/views) moderado(album/artist) del montón
- When covering Dionne Warwick, it's hard to avoid the mellow middle-of-the-road.
- Some glorious highs are counterbalanced by a few truly grating tracks and a bunch of middle-of-the-road filler, but that's true of any compilation.
- It's your basic, middle-of-the-road, spare but clean and cheap lodging which I always turn to when I'm footing the expenses myself.
- A handful of moderates are talking to middle-of-the-road Senate Republicans about possible compromises, although the talks are going slowly.
- The food is middle-of-the-road and well-prepared without being spectacular or too challenging, it's competitively priced and the surroundings are groovy.
- Yet if there's one thing most middle-of-the-road parents can agree on, it's that they are worried about how pop culture affects their children.
- The problem with Eyes Adrift is that they make lifeless, middle-of-the-road tunes that exist, barely.
- These visages were created by first digitally blending a series of faces from each race into ‘composites’ to create average, middle-of-the-road features typical of each race.
- As I've said before, I'd like to be middle-of-the-road on this.
- The music-variety genre aired on television at a time when rock and roll was growing in popularity, and the middle-of-the-road music offered by most of these shows did not appeal to younger audiences.
- In short, it is hard to avoid the conclusion that there is something terribly middle-of-the-road about the old canon - which I will call the Citizen Kane canon.
- The Get Up Kids have never made any bones about being middle-of-the-road emo, but this is more boring and predictable than an episode of Gilmore Girls.
- Having conceded so much to the opposition, he has to work hard to secure a middle-of-the-road position - to avoid drifting either to the Platonist right or to the pragmatist left.
- But in 1989, those middle-of-the-road rumblings dramatically changed lanes, as a squeaky clean princess met a notorious bad boy.
- The pack was led by Mike, whose quoted song lyric hints that the superficially middle-of-the-road, middle-class, middle-management nature of my life might not be the full story.
- In fact, it had all the hallmarks of reasonably interesting, middle-of-the-road, weekday morning commercial radio, but it rapidly turned into something resembling a spectacle.
- The album is mainly middle-of-the-road reggae, heavy on drum and bass, and chock-full of melody lines that grab you right away and sound better with each listen.
- This track is very middle-of-the-road, and features clear dialogue, music and effects.
- The general formula is middle-of-the-road songwriting layered with U2 inspired bloat and some alternative or indie-rock window dressing.
- For more middle-of-the-road housing, the big one is going to be the redevelopment of the council-owned Lagoon Farm, which could realise as many as 800 sections.
- Even an average middle-of-the-road outfit has reason to believe this could be the year.
- While Girl Alone uses more soulful ballads, this newer version offers a greater variety of songs, including some rock and roll mixed in with the other middle-of-the-road music.
- Obviously there's some very modern sorts of jazz, so I made it more of a middle-of-the-road piece of jazz music rather than extreme cutting-edge piece of jazz music.
- The overwhelming majority of radio stations are like Radio 2: middle-of-the-road music, an engaging presenter and news on the hour.
- But when he hears the king, he realises just how middle-of-the-road his own music is.
- Musically, everything is absolutely fine, in a middle-of-the-road, unexceptional sort of way.
- There are times when the surround feature kicked in (mostly with Alan Silvestri's upbeat music score), but otherwise this is a middle-of-the-road audio track.
- The musicianship is pretty tepid, middle-of-the-road country fare, but if you're a fan of harmony groups, this one is definitely worth a listen.
- When the big bosses are trying to run the middle-of-the-road people out of the electoral process, you've got to wonder about the space we allot in the public arena for the circus freaks that give the world its colour.
- He begins at the piano, back to the audience, crooning through some svelte middle-of-the-road coffee table number as only Bryan can.
- Described as post-grunge rock, it strips all the guts and glory out of the grunge we know and love, leaving the listener with watered-down middle-of-the-road ambiguity in both music and lyric.
- It found that Irish people like most sorts of music, with middle-of-the-road music having the greatest appeal.
- Still, it's no wonder that Inside Job is a middle-of-the-road fluff-fest due to the fact that even the best of The Eagles' stuff was pure AM radio-lite music.
- Is it fair that many middle-of-the-road professionals must finish in the top 20 this weekend at Loch Lomond or miss their chance to play in the world's greatest championship at Royal St George's next week?
- It would be all too easy to launch into an assault on Kelly and Co. for being bland, middle-of-the-road and turgid.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.