In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(area)centro del campo masculinomediocampo masculinobefore noun midfield player — centrocampista femenino
- (in US football) midfield stripe — línea central
- However the main point of concern for United should be the centre of midfield.
- Patrick is maybe not best known for his goals but for his amazing display in the centre of midfield.
- Cameron Latter scored two first half goals after good work from George Holmes in the midfield.
- With the injured Paul Warhurst absent, Paul Scholes had a field day in midfield.
- Staniforth was controlling the midfield and Graham was a constant threat at centre forward.
- He plays in the centre of midfield and he protects the defence but also joins in the attack and gets some great goals.
- Allen's first goal was laid on by a superb ball from the midfield by Steve Omonua.
- The midfield area is one that could decide the outcome of the game.
- Danny Carroll was switched from the midfield to centre-half for the last two games.
- This is why I would put him in the centre of the midfield for my dream team.
- As well as his hard work in the midfield, he has also chipped in with goals when the team have needed them most.
- Davids runs the midfield while Kluivert scores the goals and makes the play from up front.
- We knew their strength was in central midfield which is why we packed the midfield.
2(players)centro del campo masculinomediocampo masculino
- Great midfields are created by two centres who each pose a significant threat.
- Aided by the midfield, the Kirkby defence managed to weather the initial storm.
- Italy have a strong defence and the midfield is more settled than a month ago.
- Far from being an entertaining contest, it was one that the defences and midfields dominated.
- Their central midfield was notable more for foraging than contributions in attack.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.