In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Health workers do not just need a more militant leadership, however, but an alternative political perspective.
- I've been amusing myself with the idea of militant liberalism or liberal extremists.
- But just because the ability to organise is so important to us, socialists are always the most militant defenders of democratic rights.
- The key question for students was to turn to the working class and arm this militant movement with a conscious socialist orientation.
- Ours is not a militant area, but support for the strike inside and outside the fire brigade remains high.
- On yet further occasions, she seems to represent a new intellectual phenomenon: militant social democracy.
- Communism has been replaced by equally totalistic and militant forms of nationalism and religious fundamentalism.
- One theme touched on was how the most militant activists should organise.
- Yet the impact of war soon made the munitions centres fertile ground for militant trade unionism and socialist agitation.
- We need to build a network of activists that can build militant protests against war, and can also deliver solidarity with all the groups of workers fighting back.
- It was successful in inflicting a massive defeat on the most militant sections of the working class.
- He was very much the acceptable face of militant republicanism.
- Once again, this stance expresses political passivity, this time dressed up in the garb of militant syndicalism.
- The generals in turn used the opportunity to crack down on more militant opponents and stabilise the political situation.
- The newspaper found that the three teenagers were not members of any militant organisation, nor was one of the older men.
- She deserves to be recalled as someone who showed how militant working class women could be active in a world dominated by male trade unionists in the 1920s.
- At the same time, Britain's bosses faced a very militant working class determined to defend their jobs, wages and conditions.
- It wasn't just the militant offices that walked out.
- The influx was to produce one of the state's most militant working class centres.
- Some delegates expressed anger over their union leaders' failure to call national, militant action over both privatisation and low pay.
- Some militants become active late in life, others at an early age.
- An army spokeswoman said troops had caught up with another militant who had fled the scene of the attack and killed him.
- Northern Ireland's most notorious Protestant militant is back in jail.
- In the ensuing gun battle one foreign militant was killed.
- During the raid, the troops captured another militant in the apartment.
- In the ensuing gun battle one militant was shot dead while his accomplice managed to slip into the other side.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.