In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(in US)liga menor femenino(baseball/player) de la liga menor(writer/dictator/politician) de segunda(dictator/politician/writer) de segundo orden(writer/dictator/politician) de segunda fila
- As Fletch opens, Jane Doe poses as an ‘amiable, minor-league junkie’ as he looks into a drug distribution network on the local beaches.
- Basically that kind of a tepid turnout proved what we have known for some time, that Winnipeg is a minor-league town.
- McCarthy spent 15 seasons in the minor leagues, never making it to the major leagues as a player.
- We have five shortstops in the minor leagues who are going to be major league players.
- While things are once again looking good at the Major League level, the Twins have reinforcements if needed in the minor leagues.
- Although Chelsea was sad for her mom's big letdown, she also felt relieved because it was a minor-league problem compared to the one she had feared.
- If you are a Yankees fan, or just a fan of minor league baseball, I highly recommend his site.
- Regular readers of this column know that not long ago I found myself the target of a minor-league smear campaign.
- The topics of discussion will include college, minor league, and major league baseball.
- Such stuff is fun and flattering to the reader's minor-league erudition in the same way as trying your luck at University Challenge is.
- Someone makes a heartfelt, tear-jerking appeal on behalf of the charity, and then up pops some sweaty, half-cut minor-league celebrity who's a mate of someone on the committee.
- A minor-league icon, her popularity had little to do with her acting, resting instead on appearances in a few great films and an off-screen life as tumultuous as a three-hankie melodrama.
- One idea is to require pitching prospects to come to the plate in the minor leagues, even in leagues that allow a designated hitter.
- He just called me from Trenton, New Jersey where he is attending a minor league baseball game.
- Rock groups that sing songs with dark lyrics are gathering more and more enthusiastic fans despite their minor-league status in the music industry.
- After his final major league stint in 1946, Libke returned to the minor leagues for three more seasons.
- The draft was taking players from the big leagues and the minor leagues.
- Eric Roberts, who can be either outhouse or castle, comes a castle here as a slick, self-important minor-league thug who wants to swim with the sharks.
- Alan has gone into his father's law firm but dreams of making enough money to buy a minor league baseball team.
- If you want, there's a minor league baseball game going on tonight in Orleans.
- You put the ball in play more often than almost any pitcher in the minor leagues, yet you just don't give up base hits.
- He even threatened to send the rookie first baseman back to the minor leagues.
- So, if you need a minor league free agent list, head over to Baseball America.
- Amber's mother forces her to train endlessly, trying to recapture mom's past glory as a minor-league beauty queen.
- An equally interesting but seldom reported story is the adventure of breaking into professional baseball in the minor leagues.
- After returning to the minor leagues, Parker finished his career in the Mexican League.
- Ring was the first left-handed shortstop I had ever seen playing in the minor leagues.
- Why bother squashing minor-league competitors in the Majority World when sales there are such a small slice of the pie and the industry earns obscene profits anyway?
- As a result, corporate licensing is no longer just a low-level activity, run by minor-league executives concerned only with plastering the company name and logo in as many places as possible.
- Being such a fan of both the minor leagues and the hot stove league, I sure wish general managers would swap prospects every once in awhile.
- Liar-liar works magnificently against the TV rookie, the minor-league humanities professor blinking into the camera from a remote studio in the Midwest.
- Throughout the course of thirty recipes, Martha presents fast and easy dinners that require only a few ingredients and are able to be attempted by even minor-league cooks.
- Not only might he break the minor league home run record, but also the strikeout record.
- This is for all those nights in two-bit minor-league towns, for all the times he was told he wasn't good enough.
- When they see what they're forced to take, when they try to learn to live on those monthly $500 minor-league checks, they might want to rethink things.
- It's okay to be wrong when you're an assistant professor and minor-league blogger like myself; the rules are different when you are the president of a university.
- Leading the minor leagues in home runs as we almost enter July?
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.