In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Quite simply, the hour hand is long and the minute hand is short.
- In the grandfather clock, it's a system of gears that converts the pendulum period into appropriate speeds to move the second hand, minute hand, and hour hand.
- He took a regular analog wall clock and removed the hour and minute hands.
- If you grow up in a school that had a big clock over the door, the bottom of the hour has a certain power - when the minute hand begins its climb up from the basement of the Six, the hour is practically over.
- Household clocks for the wealthy were common by the mid 17th century, but clocks with minute hands only became widespread at the end of the century, and precise pieces were only available at the end of the 18th century.
- Ryan leant on a wall, watching the clock's minute hands tick slowly by.
- Many of us drag ourselves to work only to watch the minute hand inch its way to five o'clock.
- I had to clock in and out every day and most mornings it was a photo finish at the time clock - I'd make it just before the minute hand would bounce past the hour.
- Molly stared at the clock, silently willing the minute hand to move faster.
- Now every clock had a minute hand and most would soon have second hands as well.
- The length of the hour hand is 23 inches and that of the minute hand is 41 inches while the size of the figures is 12 inches, each.
- At this stage, a minute hand was added to clocks.
- He watched as the minute hand of the clock reached the number twelve.
- I swear, near the end of any class, every five minutes I'd check the progress of the minute hand across the face of my watch.
- Because the watch lacks a minute hand, one's tardiness becomes an eternal condition.
- She looked impatiently at the clock again but it seemed like the minute hand hadn't moved at all.
- Chicago, February 27, 2002: The Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists move the minute hand of the Doomsday Clock from nine to seven minutes to midnight.
- She waited until the door was closed and the minute hand had moved a few spaces on her watch before she crept out and down the stairs.
- As the minute hand edged closer to quitting time, relief swept through her.
- The heritage clocks, made by Gillet & Bland Steam Clock Factory Manufacturers, have 20-inch long hour hands and 41-inch-long minute hands, both of which are made out of copper plates and powder-coated.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.