In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(lost)the missing papers haven't turned up yet — los papeles que faltaban no han aparecido todavía
- the missing link — el eslabón perdido
- he was registered as a missing person — estaba en la lista de desaparecidos
- missing in action — desaparecido en acción
- missing, presumed dead — desaparecido, dado por muerto
- to be missing — faltar
- one of the coins is missing — falta una de las monedas
- how long has he been missing? — ¿cuánto hace que desapareció?
- to go missing — desaparecer
- The three-year-old bearded collie uses his keen sense of smell to sniff out missing people.
- The children's mother had reported them missing to police on Wednesday.
- But detectives said it was too early to speculate on the man's identity and were also checking all other missing people reports.
- There is no suggestion of criminal activity and it is very much a routine missing persons inquiry.
- There is still a search out for any information that can lead to the whereabouts of the missing student.
- Experts tell us that with missing persons cases, the more that time elapses, the colder the case becomes.
- Sixteen unsolved murders and four missing women are enough.
- The dogs carry out routine work at football matches and on patrol as well as being called to emergencies to help find missing people or runaway criminals.
- The team are not only involved in rescues in upland areas, but much time is also spent on searching for missing persons in lowland and coastal areas.
- The media can certainly help, and they can help find missing people.
- They have a very different attitude towards missing people.
- They handle the majority of these kinds of cases that we get with missing persons and so forth.
- But what about the other part of this story, the missing intern?
- It is not like the usual missing person, where we do not know what has happened.
- Yet, in this passage, Mary speaks to Jesus of their anxiety when they discovered him missing.
- For the pain will be there as long as we have missing people who are unaccounted for.
- Previously officers have practiced skills used to search for missing persons.
- Police have appealed for information about two teenage girls who went missing last weekend.
- There followed ‘one of the largest and most public missing persons inquiries that has ever taken place in this country’.
- But is this story worth all that extra space that other missing people do not get?
2(lacking)that violin has two strings missing — a ese violín le faltan dos cuerdas
- fill in the missing letters in the spaces provided — rellena los espacios con las letras que faltan
- Is there anything missing from our website that you'd like to see?
- James had once been an excellent swimmer and, despite his missing limb, was still able to paddle about quite proficiently.
- The one thing that is obviously missing from the wreck is any sign of a propshaft or propshaft tunnel.
- If you rise a little at the end of the companionway you can see that the roof of the engine room is missing, giving you an even better view.
- The engine and generator are missing but when they are replaced they will use diesel and not petrol as fuel.
- I'm expecting Jason to rupture a blood vessel over the missing apostrophe there.
- This charisma factor is definitely missing from the rest of the cast.
- The boiler and engine were missing, presumably salvaged many years ago.
- First the car: although there have been few causes for complaint since the new Mini came on the market, the one thing missing until now was a diesel engine.
- But when I awoke early next morning, the city seemed quiet, almost leaden, and the daily traffic jam was missing.
- Daniel was born with one of his heart valves missing and had to undergo emergency surgery twice before the age of five.
- They culled stem cells from the marrow and mixed them with a harmless virus in which a gene that makes the missing protein had been inserted.
- Nothing is going to prevent cable freeze-up if a rubber boot meant to keep water out of a parking brake cable is missing.
- When it was examined it was found to have a hole by the wheel stud and a section of the brake disk missing.
- The voice of youth is notably missing from most discussions of uniforms.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.