In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The history of the world is a history of systems: monarchy, oligarchy, democracy, what you will.
- It acknowledges darkness, as well as the historic bookends of oppressive monarchy and violent fascism.
- The rebels are spearheading a violent campaign to set up a republican state by abolishing constitutional monarchy in Nepal.
- Of course even such symbolic discrimination is wrong, but monarchy is by definition a rejection of social equality.
- Discussions about republican Rome were also at that time a way of masking criticisms of monarchy, in a society where open criticism was impossible.
- A universal franchise and limited government are better than monarchy or tyranny.
- A new constitution was promulgated restoring constitutional monarchy.
- The Spartan constitution was mixed, containing elements of monarchy, oligarchy and democracy.
- Can people move directly from a clan-based system to democracy, skipping monarchy and feudalism?
- The Second Empire almost solved the problem of reconciling monarchy and democracy - but not quite, and not in time.
- It did not depend on the formal characteristics of the state - monarchy or republic, constitutional or authoritarian.
- Much of what Australian republicans sought was achieved under constitutional monarchy.
- Khan said a large number of people in Nepal said the king's recent action was not in keeping with constitutional monarchy.
- Aristotle produced a complex taxonomy of constitutions, the three main types of which are monarchy, aristocracy, and democracy.
- The snobbery and hatred of meritocracy that have been revealed this week are simply inevitable further by-products of monarchy.
- You can see that the resulting difference in the constitution may be enormous: anywhere from social democracy to absolute monarchy.
- His reign marked a significant advance from personal monarchy towards the bureaucratised state of the future.
- The first one I have put up is a rather whimsical article by an American journalist on why constitutional monarchy is the best form of government.
- He ridiculed the very idea of monarchy and turned the political debate in a decisively republican direction.
- It was supposed to be about ideology and heroism, but in reality, it was just a new brand of monarchy.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.