In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(dog)perro mestizo masculinochucho masculino coloquialchucha femenino coloquialgozque masculino Colombiaquiltro masculino Chile coloquialquiltra femenino Chile coloquial
- So they opened up the event to mutts and mongrels too, with categories like Most Appealing Eyes.
- ‘Don't worry, the mongrel won't bite,’ he assured.
- The dogs - a mongrel, a Labrador, a papillon and three cocker spaniels - identified their chosen sample by lying down next to it.
- There was a short silence between them, only interrupted when the mongrel dog jumped onto the foot of the bed. ‘Get down, Pia,’ ordered Sam.
- Many mongrel dogs could be seen walking freely on the streets.
- Those who came to this show laughed at the antics of the mongrels, and noticed that canines could suffer from stage fear.
- He lies in the nest for tonight, taken from a stray mutt and her mongrel puppies.
- Most dogs would have been mongrels of one sort or another, however the various traits of certain types of dog were already highly valued.
- One of the more unusual recruits to the unit was Tramp, a mongrel dog found starving and very ill in a puddle under the yacht.
- The council had served him an environmental protection notice, ordering him to silence his dog, a mongrel called Charlie which he has had for seven years.
- The only animal life that he encountered on the island were a small mongrel dog and a female pig that was a bit thin from lack of food.
- He tossed his apple core to a grey mongrel dog that had been trailing him though he doubted very much that it would be appreciated.
- Pedigree dogs and mongrels performed the same overall, but pedigree cats scored marginally higher than mixed breed cats on all the tests.
- This was a mongrel breed incorporating strains of Labrador, Greyhound, anything that could advance the genes of endurance and pulling power.
- Over the past year she has noticed unusual stereotyped behaviour displayed by Candy, her 9 year old mongrel bitch, which occurs only before hypoglycaemic episodes.
- The mongrel hounds rushed up a slope, into a stand of scrub.
- With them was Bacchus, a mongrel dog who won the hearts of the crew and was rewarded in 1943 with a National Canine Defence League valiant dog medal.
- My two dogs, both mongrels, died at 13 and 15 years old.
- One of the most popular animals is a ten-year-old mongrel dog, whose owners had to move away.
- Lily the mongrel puppy was one of the first pooches to go online to promote a stray dogs website in North Yorkshire.
- Because they have lived alongside each other for so long, true Scottish wildcats and crossbred mongrels are difficult to tell apart.
- If mongrel species represent genetic novelty and are stabilizing components of their ecosystems, are they not worth saving?
- He has done workshops with farmers in Cambodia and his findings support the general belief that many farmed animals are genetic mongrels.
- They are mating with the local rare species of white-headed duck producing a mongrel that could force the indigenous breed into extinction.
- There is was with a chicken leg in its mouth, grinning in such a way only an emaciated mongrel kitten-cat can grin.
- The reason, they say, is the creation of a new race of mongrel salmon - the product of escaped farmed salmon breeding with wild fish.
- Japanese mongrel pigmented male rabbits weighing 2.5 to 3.5 kg were used.
- My formerly-feral cat, Buddy, an all-black mongrel found on the streets when he was about eight months old, is now nearly three years old.
1(dog) mestizo(dog) gozque Colombia
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.