In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- As a teenager, he was set on becoming a Franciscan monk until he took high school acting lessons.
- On the right side of the pyramid was the monastery, with its abbot and his subordinate monks.
- One by one the monks glided from the church, each stopping to kiss the most sacred icons as they went.
- He declared that it was his last mathematics book, and entered the Benedictine Order as a monk.
- Many of the alms will be donated to monks at the temple, as well as to the novices to use during their stay.
- He has attended several retreats at the abbey, run by the Catholic order of Benedictine monks.
- The temple takes its name from the Knights Templar, an order of warrior monks.
- He was the first Westerner to be ordained as a monk by the Dalai Lama and now teaches at Columbia University.
- The emperor assumed the authority to make rules for the communities of Buddhist monks.
- He spent two years as a monk in Germany and then became secretary to a French bishop.
- Both forms of ordination require a quorum of five ordained monks or nuns with a minimum of ten years in the Order.
- Priests and monks had to follow a strictly regimented set of activities every day.
- He then requests the ten basic vows of a novice monk and repeats each as it is recited to him.
- He was nudged awake by one member of a line of Buddhist monks who were making their daily alms run.
- All the community of Evesham was there, every monk and lay brother eager to greet their donors.
- He was on his way to visit his brother Raimond, who was a monk in the Dominican monastery there.
- He wanted to be a monk, not a busy town parson continually beset by unreasonable people.
- They were originally built for a community of monks from Val des Choux in Burgundy.
- When a group of Dominican monks founded a house in the rue St Jacques in Paris they became known as Jacobins.
- My thoughts turned to the Priory, and the monks who lived in peace and poverty there.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.