In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- A single first initial of your first name as a monogram has a casual, whimsical kind of feel.
- My mother was obviously very concerned as to what her children's initials would look like when displayed as monograms on dressing-gowns and sets of luggage.
- Many of the cases were personalized with monograms and scuffed by wear.
- At an initial glance, the calligraphic monogram looks like a flowery collection of decorative marks.
- These yield an unearthly effect, especially since the artist has draped his monogram, suspended from a garland, across the top of the picture.
- For a touch of elegance and personalization, embellish the pocket with an embroidered monogram or crest.
- Develop your own personal monogram for your art!
- These days, Childs sports a purple baseball cap with his monogram and the initials of his college fraternity, Omega Psi Phi, on it.
- Many couples include monograms or logos that are repeated other places in the wedding and reception as well.
- It is signed with a monogram, or perhaps a small drawing, which I will not even attempt to describe.
- Traditional monograms are created with the last name initial centered and larger than the other characters around it.
- Crucially for Fitzroy fans, it will prominently feature the FFC monogram.
- I thought the Marc brand was beyond monograms - turns out I was wrong.
- There are numerous further examples of closely comparable enamels inscribed with these monograms.
- Her gaze very slowly lowered to the monogram on the needlework sample and she swallowed hard.
- Use strips of ribbon or braid to make a family monogram, or embroider it by hand or machine.
- The maker's mark on the dishes is a distinctive monogram, clearly composed of the initials ‘RF’.
- The monogram EJP is positioned identically on both.
- Both spoons, in addition to the monogram, bear the incuse letter ‘m,’ which, it has been believed, signifies manufacture no later than 1875.
- Both cabinets include the discreet monogram of the painter E.J. Poynter in the third panel.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.