In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The monotheism of the Jews, and of the Christianity that developed from Jewish origins, was central to the moral identity of the West.
- This is not simply a clichéd clash between Islamic monotheism and Hindu polytheism as is made out in standard accounts on the subject.
- Paul's monotheism, which included the view that God controlled everything that happened, was braver than that.
- This monotheism, this religion of the one, of course has universal appeal.
- The liberals also commonly assert that monotheism is a late evolutionary religious development.
- The Indo-Iranian Kurds have their own language, script, and religion, Ezidism, which may be the world's oldest monotheism.
- You're talking about monotheism as if its synonomous with fundamentalism and religious intolerance, which strikes me as a bit of a straw man argument.
- But what's different about this human depiction of God, this notion of monotheism, is that it transfers real material scarcity to divinity.
- The ideological clash between monotheism and polytheism furnishes the world with one of its first examples of asymmetrical warfare.
- All of this flows, according to Stark, directly from the inherent logic of monotheism.
- Late antique Neoplatonism was essentially monotheism; Wicca is essentially duotheism.
- We brought monotheism to a pagan world, and guaranteed women's rights in marriage.
- Once the option for religion has been made, the only serious alternatives are pantheism and monotheism.
- In a contest with polytheism, monotheism is likely to prevail, and one who comes to hold that many natural phenomena were created intentionally probably will come to believe in God.
- He wrote in favour of monotheism, belief in one God rather than many, using selected Hindu scriptures and Christian Unitarianism to support his case.
- The unequivocal monotheism of Islam served to unite all.
- Plenty of evidence indicates that in Paul's day Judaism with its monotheism and high ethical standards was an attractive religion to many non-Jews.
- Pantheism can no more account for any decadence than monotheism.
- Does your masonry promote multitheism or does it promote monotheism?
- Unlike most religions, it requires no one belief regarding the nature of God: it embraces polytheism, monotheism, and monism.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.