In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Her father was a monumental mason and was responsible for creating the town's war memorial outside St John's Church.
- The prices quoted by various monumental masons were between £850 and £1,200 for a basic headstone so you should shop around for a good price.
- The memorial was built from brown Portland stone in 1920 by monumental masons.
- Mr Kilburn added: ‘All memorials that are laid flat are done so gently by a monumental mason and are being laid on wooden blocks to prevent any damage to the stonework or the graves themselves.’
- The headstone cannot be placed on his grave as a result and is still at the monumental mason's on Prebend Street.
- The monumental mason hasn't set to work yet, however; though there may be three in the grave, there's still only two names.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.