In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- He never caused a scintilla of trouble at any of the dog-friendly hotels and motels we visited.
- Wallpaper used to be reserved for conference centres, cheap motels and suburban sitting rooms.
- Along with the signs, he said, the roadside motels and cafes are themselves art objects.
- Everything in it is so much nicer than at those cheap motels, from the room size to the paintings on the wall to the coffee maker in the bathroom.
- I hate hotels and motels, I hate sleeping in strange beds, showering in strange showers.
- A number of good motels and hotels offer accommodation for a stopover, and there is a good choice of restaurants and cafes.
- There are plenty of hotels and motels but not one permanent place of residence.
- The dancers could not afford to stay in hotels or motels, so they were billeted with people from the community.
- Find out which motels and hotels in your area allow pets - well in advance of needing them.
- If you plan to stay in hotels or motels, remember to make reservations in advance.
- If you plan to stay in hotels or motels along the way, call in advance to make sure they allow pets.
- Contact motels and hotels in communities outside of your area and find out if they will accept pets in an emergency.
- Hotels and motels usually renovate their properties every five to seven years.
- Some motels and hotels actually work out to be more expensive, especially if you choose to stay in a suite.
- There are of course a number of ways to save money on hotels and motels without compromising quality.
- Airlie Beach has a wide spectrum of accommodation, from motels to resort hotels, and prices are somewhat lower.
- All the hotels and motels along the waterfront has been totally destroyed.
- Mountain cabin rentals provide a great alternative to standard hotels and motels.
- Hotels, motels and entertainment theme parks have a unique security problem.
- Accommodation in Cairns ranges from backpacker hostels to motels and five-star hotels.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.