In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Visitors to the Motorcycle Festival in Harwich on August 31 are being encouraged to use the train service instead of cars as nearly the whole of Harwich will be closed off to all vehicles except motorbikes.
- In November, motorbikes and 4x4 vehicles will be allowed back on the pass for one day a month on a permit system.
- The software connects to databases, including the Police National Computer, with details on 4.5 million cars, motorbikes, vans and lorries.
- At busy periods, trunk roads such as the A64 are filled by a hazardous mix of cars, lorries, motorbikes and tractors.
- Nineteen per cent of vehicles stolen were either motorbikes or mopeds.
- Trucks, buses and motorbikes rumbled and screeched under our window all night long.
- Family members said his passion was not just motorbikes but all motor vehicles.
- The bus lane is designed to limit the amount of traffic in Ferndale Road and only allows buses, emergency vehicles, motorbikes, mopeds and bicycles.
- The area off Bayton Lane has become a popular site for drivers of 4x4 vehicles and off-road motorbikes.
- Miss Skone says the woods regularly used by quad bikers were fenced off by Dartford Council immediately after the accident and there seemed to be a genuine desire to make off-road motorbikes and quad bikes safer.
- Now motorbikes and 4x4 vehicles roar along it, churning up and destroying a thousand years of history.
- They have also had to put up with an increase in motorbikes and quad bikes along the footpath at the back of their homes, which was hard-surfaced with the £6,500 windfall.
- Under existing laws Wiltshire County Council has been forced to acknowledge the track is an ancient road and should be open to four-wheel drive vehicles and motorbikes.
- Countryside campaigners are furious that motorbikes and 4x4 vehicles are churning up historic Roman tracks.
- Young people riding motorbikes and mopeds have been disturbing the peace of residents near the controversial skate park in Bocking End over the past few weeks.
- The riders, known as scramblers, are illegally riding their motorbikes, quad bikes and scooters across Crane Park and are tearing up the ground in the process.
- They hope that this will help to prevent further damage by off-road vehicles, motorbikes, quad bikes and 4x4s.
- Vehicle excise duty on lorries and motorbikes is frozen at the existing rates and there is no extra tax on insurance premiums.
- On Saturday, at 12.50 pm, three motorbikes and two vehicles crashed.
- The department has been inundated with calls from angry residents complaining about youths speeding on off-road motorbikes and quad bikes.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.