In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1maquinista masculinoconductor masculino
- And how do you think the public should treat the motormen and conductors, some of whom they're very angry with after three days off?
- We stood for a short while on the platform to allow the motorman to change ends.
- Instead of a motorman and conductor there will only be motormen.
- Our train sat in Hoboken just long enough for the motorman and conductor to change ends, and then we were off once more.
- Travelling on the tram was a sociable activity as the same conductors and motormen were on the same timetable most days.
- At the inquiry the motorman stated that as he approached the station, the signalman waved him in with the green flag.
- It's the 134-year tradition of flaunting one rule - ‘Passengers should not talk to the motorman/gripman while the car is in motion’.
- Simon Gray, a motorman, said: ‘We are underpaid.’
- Fifty-year-old Harry Kelly is one of these 380 motormen.
- A childhood buddy of mine, who is a motorman, told me of these problems when I asked him why the trip to Manhattan appeared to take longer than when I used to take the trains to Manhattan in my adolescence.
- Craighead predicted serious problems in systematic enforcement of the ordinance because conductors and motormen were allowed to use their own discretion in seating passengers.
- She would look at the cases of motormen, conductors, station cleaners and track workers and ask me, ‘Why do you only live a couple of years after you leave this place?’
- They had a conductor and a motorman: a motorman to drive it, and a conductor to collect fares and announce the stops.
- At first he had been employed as a motorman, but from the summer of 1992 he had been engaged as 3rd engineer.
- The motorman tries to contact his command center, but his radio has hit one of the system's ‘dead spots’, so he gets no signal.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.