In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1dolientethe mourners reached the grave — el cortejo fúnebre llegó a la tumba
- to be the chief mourner — presidir el duelo
- The hundreds of mourners who attended Jennifer's funeral mass heard Patricia read the tribute before the service began.
- Hundreds of mourners attended the teenager's funeral last week.
- Inside the apartment, his mother wept as she sat on the floor, surrounded by female relatives and other mourners.
- In Thailand a person is likely to compose a small cookbook before her or his death, so that it can be distributed as a keepsake to the mourners attending the funeral.
- The cathedral of St Thomas More in Arlington, Virginia, was packed with mourners for her funeral.
- She says the 200 mourners who attended the service at the crematorium all had special memories of her father.
- Her only mourners would be her friends at the Country Home.
- More than 1250 mourners attended Wodehouse's funeral in Edmonton.
- Family servants acted as pallbearers; the mourners were family and friends of the family.
- Meanwhile, more than 300 mourners attended Clare's funeral, at St George's Church, to remember the life of their friend and colleague.
- Almost a thousand mourners attended the funeral, with the local Maori meeting house overflowing for the hour-long service.
- Mufulira Municipal Council workers blocked roads leading to cemeteries to prevent mourners from burying the dead.
- In a series of thoughts written by his family and friends, mourners heard about a man all remembered as fun-loving and sensitive.
- At the wake of one of the dead, the mourners were adamant that there had been no fighting between insurgents and marines.
- More than 130 mourners attended her funeral in Southampton.
- So at a wake, is the focus on the dead or on the mourners?
- Meanwhile, police have warned mourners attending the funeral that parking in the city centre may be limited.
- Afterwards, mourners were invited for refreshments by the nuns.
- No, I mean - what would he do if he had all these unwanted relatives and mourners hanging around the house?
- A Royal British Legion standard bearer was among the many mourners who attended Mrs her funeral.
- Yesterday, his widow, Jane, led about 700 mourners at a funeral at St Mary's Parish Church, just a few hundred yards from the family's home.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.