In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- It was Neil Hannon's birthday and even though he didn't seem thrilled to be 32 years of age, he kept announcing the fact and played himself the Birthday Song on a mouth organ.
- The Harmonicords, a local mouth organ quartet, is to be heard on Wednesday, February 16, on the BBC North Region's ‘What Makes A Star?’
- His musical expertise stretches to the mouth organ.
- But a real hobo needs an instrument, so I have resolved to learn the mouth organ.
- With guitar in hand and mouth organ at the ready, he has created a trademark sound which makes him stand out from your everyday guitar-playing songwriter.
- Bob receives a mouth organ as a present from his old mum.
- The sweet sounds of the banjo are replaced by the elderly paterfamilias, who starts to play a mouth organ.
- As well as being a good singer, Michael S is a multi-instrumentalist, playing the mouth organ, guitar and keyboards to name but a few.
- Who do you think played the buzzing, demonic sitar on ‘Paint It, Black’, the dulcimer on ‘Lady Jane’ and the mouth organ on ‘Come On’?
- The album is ripe with folk and country elements as well and encompasses many instruments, from epic strings to mouth organ and horns.
- ‘I used to play her a little ditty on the mouth organ when I saw her walk past,’ said Gordon, 82.
- The tracks may be short, but they're far busier than a lot of the material doing the rounds, with Hammond organs, chirpy guitars, and some brilliant mouth organ, all making an impression at some point.
- Stan remembered that ‘long, lanky Fred’ used to entertain his comrades with his mouth organ.
- With liberal use of glockenspiel, harmonium and mouth organ, it sounds like Brion found his instruments in a playgroup toy box.
- Musically, the album isn't afraid of drawing on different instruments, from mouth organs to banjos, to acoustic guitars and piano.
- Dick was a great dancer and singer and could even play the mouth organ.
- A singer and a musician who plays organ, guitar, mouth organ and is learning the play the fiddle himself, he says, ‘They reveal the spirit and folklore of the Acadian people through their music.’
- His father played the accordion and mouth organ, while a brother and sister played piano, all of them self-taught.
- Be My Baby is like a modern day acoustic ballad, with melancholic twists and the now trademark falsetto, complete with strings and the mouth organ to begin with.
- A mouth organ provides the tune and Kate uses her voice to provide the anger and bitterness the words deserve.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.